Sunday, January 30, 2011

Kids Valentine craft

This was the perfect craft to make. We were able to do it while Simon had a quick morning  nap and it involved everything that Claire loves to do. She got to colour, use scissors, googly eyes, glue, and sticky tape. (On a side note, yes I do realize that as a general rule tape is sticky. Claire calls it sticky tape thanks to Dora.)

Another great thing about this craft is that you could really cater it to such a variety of ages. Claire's nearly 3, so I had to help her cut out the hearts, and put most of the tape on BUT older kids would be able to make these with much less guidance.

What you need to make these:
toilet paper rolls
construction paper
white computer paper
markers/crayons
googly eyes (older kids could draw on the eyes)
decorative tape or strips of coloured paper (could use leftover wrapping paper)
sicssors

1. cover toilet paper roll with sheet of white paper. (This might be a step that you could skip. It was hard for us to pick off all of the extra bits of toilet paper, so we just covered them up!)
2. cut hearts out of construction paper (can you tell that Claire cut out the purple 'heart' below?)
3. colour the hearts or draw on a face
4. add googly eyes, if you're using them
5. add decorative tape, of strips of paper to the toilet paper roll
6. tape the heart to the front of the toilet paper roll


Inspired by the finger puppet Valentines that Katie Did made last year.

10 comments:

  1. Great idea! I'd love for you to come link up at Inspire Me Mondays @ Singing Three Little Birds!
    http://singingthreelittlebirds.blogspot.com/2011/01/inspire-me-mondays-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah ArenburgJanuary 31, 2011

    Googly eyes make the world a better place. =) Another great idea, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. New follower here! I love this craft, I have been saving rolls for a while now just in case I find something to craft with them..here it is! We are going to do this TODAY in school! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello - just FYI….I’m going to be featuring your site today! Stop by and check it out!

    Sam
    http://www.themomanddadreviews.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are so cute! We're always looking for new ways to use our recycled toilet paper tubes!

    I'm a new follower also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sweet! I love the happy little faces.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are adorable... This is right up our alley- We will have to do this.

    Please share this over here: http://www.bubblynaturecreations.com/2011/02/project-party-weekend-flavored-lip.html

    We would love to have you join us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this! I often see adorable things I'd love to do with my two little boys, but know that they just aren't old enough to really do it themselves. This is PERFECT for my three year old though! THANK YOU for sharing! :) I'm a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the articles, have book marked them and will definitely be taking forward some of their advice. Thanks again! I’ll be back for more tips next week!
    paper tubes

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thanks for taking the time to say hi!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...